Thursday, September 11, 2008




Thursday morning came really fast. I went for my first South African run in Rondebosch Commons!! Mom, don't worry - I ran with a group of people in broad daylight. The Commons is a fairly large field with Table Mountain in the background, and right next to the main road and some stores (and our house). It's not secluded at all & many people were running around. Still, the rule is always stick with a buddy, or group of people. We ran 2 loops, which is said to be 2 miles a loop but definitely didn't seem that long, so we're guessing it's about 1.5 miles for one loop around. We motivated each other to do lunges and abs after - I'm really excited that there's a group of girls that will run with me! There's also a ton of walking (40 minute walk to campus) so hopefully I won't ever feel trapped inside. Breakfast for the most part consists of yogurt & granola, plus instant coffee and a multivitamin (I told you I'd give all the details). There's also lots of fresh fruit in the house, which is amazing tasting (apples, clementines, and bananas that taste super fresh and don't have pesticides on them). Ok so we went to UCT (University of Cape Town) today to check out the campus. I was absolutely in love with the campus beauty. There is an upper, middle, & lower campus, all with Table Mountain in the background. The buildings look like castles, and the trees consist of palm trees, exotic flowers, and colorful evergreen-like trees. We listened to a welcome and safety lecture - reviewing everything we have been told by several different people - not to have cell phones showing, don't wear a purse (but a book bag is fine), etc. We got photos taken for UCT student ID cards (apparently if you don't have your ID on you & they ask you for proof of student enrollment when you're walking around on campus it's considered trespassing, and you could be put into jail for a night or so). I don't know how true that is but just in case I'll ALWAYS carry that ID!

No comments: